The Carleton College Summer Mathematics Program for Women will not run in 2016
College Summer Mathematics Program for Women
is an NSF-funded program to encourage and support women in their
study of mathematics.
The goals of the program include:
- introducing students to new areas of mathematics;
- honing students' mathematical reasoning, proof writing,
and presentation skills;
- building self-confidence, encouraging enthusiasm for
increasing awareness of opportunities for continued study in the mathematical sciences;
- connecting students into a supportive network of other female
graduates and professionals to support them through their graduate studies
Admission into this program is highly selective and is limited to
mathematics students who are currently completing their first or second
year of college. Students are expected to have had Calculus and Linear
Algebra. Participants must be U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents.
| Participants in past programs have reported
- "This experience has revived my
and charged me up."
- "The program has given me the
I can succeed in math, both as a student and as a woman."
- "I feel like a future in math
opened for me
through the program."
- "My confidence, interest and
goals in mathematics
soared to new heights with the information presented to me through the
Deanna Haunsperger, Steve Kennedy, Laura Chihara, Gail Nelson,
Information and application materials for the 2014 program:
|| Information for SMP participants
Publications about the Summer Mathematics Program:
- "A Serendipitous Sisterhood" in MAA's Math Horizons, September 2007.
- "Serendipity and Inadvertence in the Building of Community" in
Building Intellectual Community Through Collaboration, Carol Rutz and Mary Savina, Editors, 2007.
- "Strength in Numbers" in MAA's FOCUS, February 2001, pp 4-5.
- "Carleton and St. Olaf Colleges' Summer Mathematics Program" in
AMS's Proceedings of the Conference on Summer Undergraduate Mathematics Research Programs, Joseph Gallian, Editor, 2000.
- "Carleton and St. Olaf Colleges' Summer Mathematics Program" in MAA's Women in Mathmematics:
Scaling the Heights, Deborah Nolan, Editor, 1997.
- "Summer Mathematics Program for Women" in AWM's Newsletter, 1996.
A photo from our 10th year reunion in 2005.
Some information from the early years:
Links to mathematical topics
The program is being held on the Carleton
in Northfield, Minnesota,
is located approximately forty miles south of Minneapolis.
Back to the Carleton
Department of Mathematics